Wednesday, February 3, 2010

52 Weeks To Better Genealogy - Challenge #5

Play with WorldCat.org -- That's what Genea-Bloggers and Amy Coffin over at We Tree told me to do. I am so glad that they did because I had fun! Who knew that you could search hundreds of libraries in one spot? (Okay, I may be the only one who didn't.)

The first thing I did was search to make sure that the two closest libraries were included in this world's largest library catalog. I was actually a little surprised to find that they were. I was sure that the Jacksonville Library was there. So I made these my favorite libraries:
  1. Emily Taber Public Library
  2. Jacksonville Public Library
  3. Nassau County Public Library System
You don't need to have a username and a password to run a search, but I set one up anyway so I could make lists and set my favorite libraries.

I ran a search on a couple of areas that I need to do some research in, namely New York and Rhode Island. In doing so I spotted the name of a genealogist and author that I have corresponded with so next I ran a search on her name, Jane Fletcher Fiske. I did one more search using the name of my most notable ancestor Governor Benedict Arnold.

I found several books and microfilms that I would love to spend time with ==>

Brayton, A., & Benson, J. H. (1960). The burying place of Governor Arnold: An account of the establishment, destruction, and restoration of the burying place of Benedict Arnold, first Governor of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. Newport, R. I.: Privately printed.


Tompkins, H. B. (1919). Benedict Arnold, The first governor of Rhode Island.

Fiske, J. F. (1987). Thomas Cooke of Rhode Island: A genealogy of Thomas Cooke, alias Butcher of Netherbury, Dorsetshire, England, who came to Taunton, Massachusetts in 1637 and settled in Portsmouth, Rhode Island in 1643. Boxford, Mass: J.F. Fiske.

Fiske, J. F. (1998). Gleanings from Newport court files, 1659-1783. Boxford, Mass: J.F. Fiske.

Fiske, J. F. (1998). Rhode Island General Court of Trials, 1671-1704. Boxford, Massachusetts: Jane Fletcher Fiske.

Genealogical Society of Utah. (1973). Deeds, New York State, 1659-1800 Index to deeds, 1674-1797. Salt Lake City, Utah: Reproduction Systems for the Genealogical Society of Utah.

Brøderbund. (1998). Family Tree Maker genealogical records New York, 1675-1920. Family tree maker's family archives, CD 238. [Novato, CA]: Brøderbund Software.

Bogert, H. A. (1800s). Henry A. Bogert property research notes on early families of New York City, Brooklyn, and Flushing, New York.

Genealogical Society of Utah. (1969). Deeds, 1684-1851, Westchester County, N.Y. Index to deeds, 1680-1898. Salt Lake City, Utah: Reproduction Systems for the Genealogical Society of Utah.

Bolton, R., Bolton, C. W., & Willis, O. R. (1996). The history of the several towns, manors, and patents of the county of Westchester: From its first settlement to the present time ; carefully revised by the author. Bowie, Md: Heritage Books.

Bolton, R., Bolton, C. W., & Willis, O. R. (2000s).The history of the several towns, manors, and patents of the County of Westch ester, from its first settlement: With numerous genealogies of county families : carefully revised by the author. Salem, Mass: Higginson Book.

Spies, F. F. (1989). Inscriptions from Quaker burying grounds with notes Purchase, West Chester Co., Chappaqua, West Chester Co., Pawling, Dutchess Co., (Quaker Hill), Bethel, Dutchess Co., index.

Bolton, R. (1848). A history of the county of Westchester, from its first settlement to the present time. New York: Printed by Alexander S. Gould.

Unfortunately most of these publications are out of my reach and are not included in the interlibrary loan program. However "
The history of the several towns, manors, and patents of the County of Westch ester, from its first settlement: With numerous genealogies of county families : carefully revised by the author. is available in the Jacksonville Library.

I did put in a request for the book "
Thomas Cooke of Rhode Island: A genealogy of Thomas Cooke, alias Butcher of Netherbury, Dorsetshire, England, who came to Taunton, Massachusetts in 1637 and settled in Portsmouth, Rhode Island in 1643", so hopefully I will get that.

Thank you again Thomas and Amy for this fun little game!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for playing along! Also, thank you for the link back and attribution. Many people don't do that part. I appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site