Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Festival of Postcards 8th Edition -- Geography

This edition's Festival of Postcards theme is Geography. The postcard I chose to share is one that was in a box of things that my great-grandmother had saved.
It is a wonderful piece of architecture, castle like, the Administration Building of the University of Washington in Seattle, Washington. It was published in the United States by Edward H. Mitchell of San Francisco. It doesn't have a date on it, but I know it was published and sent to Hazel Madsen before October 5, 1910.

This postcard was sent to Hazel Rebecca Madsen by a fellow named Frank Wilks before she was married to William Cannon Piggott (my great-grandfather).  One gets the idea that he was quite smitten with Hazel after reading his penciled words to her; this one as well as two more.


Dear Friend Hazel 
I read your card 
was pleased to 
hear from you and to 
know you are well but 
was sorry to hear that 
you are going home I 
thought perhaps you was
going to make your
home in B. are you and 
Will Piggott going to get
married soon if you 
are not I wonder if there
would be any show
for a guy that looks
like me do you supose
there would? I'm awfull 

lonesome I'd like to have
some one to lay her
head on my breast
and share all my joys and
sorrows. I'd like to see
you before you go away
may write and answer all
questions Frank



1 comment:

  1. I wonder if she did care for this other suitor since she saved the postcard. Yes, I would certainly agree that he was smitten. The building is very castle like. Is it still standing? Great find!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site