Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday -- John T., Jr and Esther H. Barker

This is the photo I took of great-grandma and grandpa Barker's headstone while I was cemetery hopping through Bear Lake County, Idaho on a fine snowy May day.

Luckily  I found this photo that I took in 2001 back at mom's house. The earlier one is much easier to read.  What a difference nine years makes. 

             Barker
John T. Jr.        Esther H.
Nov. 22, 1872       Apr. 23, 1880
Feb. 10, 1953      Feb. 27, 1963

I also took a photo of the St. Charles Cemetery map while I was there last May.

If you click on the map you should be able to read most of it, but some of it is blurry. 

(okay maybe you need a magnifying glass to read it. You can read the original so if anyone wants a copy I can email it to you.)


Leslie Ann

4 comments:

  1. This is the exact reason I am feeling the urgency to photograph my family stones this year. The last time I did was 9 years ago and some of the stones can't be read anymore.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have a set of great grandparents named John T and Ester Barker, born in Oneida NY, but apparently lived some time in Vinton IA? They had a son named Archibald, who drove stage coach to and from the Vinton school for the blind. And this man's my great grandfather. Are these the same people? I know they had another son named John, one named Ruel and also a 4th son & possibly a daughter? If so, I have family history info going back to the 1500's in England. I haven't been able to garner much information about John T and Ester though! I know her maiden named was Buck.

    Thanks,
    Kristy Barker
    themagnificentfrolic@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they are not the same couple, but what a coincidence that two different John T Barkers marry women named Esther!

      My John Thompson Barker was born in St. Charles, Idaho to John Tompson and Jane Maria Pickett. John T Barker, Sr was my immigrant ancestor was born in Marston, Bedfordshire, England.

      The earliest documented Barker ancestor I have is William Barker born about 1773 in St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England.

      Who knows, maybe we connect somehow. I also have Buck ancestors.

      Delete
    2. Was one of Archibald's sons named Frank? If so, this is the same Archie Barker. It's too much of coincidence.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site