Friday, August 13, 2010

Follow A Friend of Friends Friday

So today I am going to throw a little AFoF in with my suggestion that you follow Tonie Carrier at LowCountry Africa.  She hasn't posted on her blog for a while, but for good reason. She has been a busy little bee in her collaboration with Footnote.com, the South Carolina Department of Archives and History, and FamilySearch to digitize every surviving estate inventory for Colonial and Charleston South Carolina from 1732 to 1872, as well as selected Bills of Sale for the same period, in a FREE collection.

There are still many records to index and help is needed so I suggest you follow her example and volunteer to do your 10. (Did that sound bossy?) (This is "Follow Friday", right?) After you do your 10, you get this neat little badge to put on your blog: 
I have three of them, one for each blog.  Not only is it rewarding, but indexing is fun, informative and an unexpected tool to finding new information.  

For example, while indexing I see the name Julius P. Watie.  I think to myself, am I reading that right? Just to make sure I put his name in the old Google search and low and behold I find the Will of Thomas Bracey who happens to be the nephew of Julius and not only did he leave his plantation Known as “James Hill” to his uncle, but also several slaves that he names. 

Another name I had to investigate was James Legare.  I have never seen that last name before. Check out what Google led me to learn about this rascal James Legare  of Charleston, South Carolina who fabricated an elaborate spoof on his ancestral line. 

Happy Friday and happy indexing!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site