Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advent Calendar December 8 - Christmas Cookies




Christmas cookies - I remember those! How I miss making them with mom.  We used to make raisin filled and iced cookies. 


Mom would sprinkle flour on the kitchen table and we would throw a big blob of cookie dough on the flour and roll it with the (Tupperware)rolling pin.  Us kids would use the Santa, Christmas tree, and gingerbread man cookie cutters from Tupperware and mom would use a glass to make round shapes (I don't know why she just couldn't use the cookie cutters).


She would spoon the raisin filling on the cut dough (mostly the round ones)and cover them with a matching one. We would cover the other ones with frosting after they cooled off.


It has been ages since I have had a raisin filled cookie! I may just have to make some this year.  As a matter of fact, I just got off the phone with mom and she gave me the recipe. Oh, do you want to make some too?  I guess I could share it with you.


Raisin filled cookies


Ingredients:


1 cup sugar    
1/2 cup butter
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg & 1/2 cup sour milk creamed together


Filling:


1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tbs flour
1 cup of ground raisins


Combine filling ingredients and heat on stove until it begins to boil. Remove from heat and set aside. 


Roll out dough, cut with cookie cutters or top of a drinking glass. Put desired amount of filling on cut dough and top with another, pressing sides to seal. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown.



Mmm.....I can taste them now.


1 comment:

  1. I have never seen raisins done as a filling this way. I think I'm going to have to try it....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site