Monday, December 27, 2010

Guess What I got for Christmas!!

Boy, was I a happy camper when I opened this gift!

VuPoint Magic Wand™ Portable Scanner

(I have always wanted a magic wand!)Now I can finally scan legal size documents! It will also come in handy when I go to the library and find precious genealogical materials that can't be checked out!  Now I am really looking forward to a trip to an archive building (whenever that is)!

So here is my first attempt at using the scanner. Said magic wand doesn't have enough magic to ensure that I scan straight, however. (I guess I will have to practice)

The following document is Quit-claim Deed made between Oregon Short Line Railroad Company and James S. Poulsen (my great-grandfather) Jan 21, 1911. As always, click on images for larger view.




That is not the only genealogical gift that I got. I also got the money for a year membership with New England Historic Genealogical Society (now American Ancestors)! The check's in the mail and I can't wait to get full access to their database! I also look forward to receiving the journals in the mail. You just don't know how long I have wanted to own one of those NEHGS journals!


9 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie Ann - I bought one of these doohickeys for myself last April. It takes A LOT of practice to not only scan straight, but also at the right speed (both matter). I've spent literally hours working with mine, and I typically have to scan each page 3-4 times before I get something useable. It's a wonderful concept, but I find it very hard to use. I have hope that I'll get it right eventually, though. Hopefully you'll get it figured out much more quickly!

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the key is to hold it with one hand in the middle (instead of with one hand on each end) and move at an even speed. If you start with it straight then it will stay that way because you can't get one end ahead of the other. (Does that make sense?)

    I bought one a few months ago and have been very happy with the results on legal size docs. I probably wouldn't use it for photos (unless it was my only option) but for text, I'm happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After some initial practice, I haven't had any real problems with flat pages using the wand scanner. Tightly bound books are much more difficult, however; a camera is probably better for them.

    Sounds like Genea-Santa was really good to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! I love mine and have had great results after some initial practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! I think you did a great job, crooked or not. Now I am wanting one of these! The endless possibilities are going around and around in my head, i.e., when visiting relatives who have a document they don't want to "loan" out... I could scan it right there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Treated myself to one just before Christmas as well...thanks for all the hints. I;m hoping to scan my trillions of pictures and documents ....wish me luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll get better! My friend has one and loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is nice to see a scanner post about something other than the flip-pal (which I do want). What will they come up with next. I appreciated seeing what you scanned too. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site