Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Paolo Michele Mangiafico Naturalization Papers

Saturday I received the long awaited naturalization papers of hubby's grandpa. I had never seen naturalization papers before so I was excited to see what new information I would learn.

There are  four forms included:

  1. Certificate of Arrival
  2. Declaration of Intention
  3. Petition For Naturalization
  4. Oath of Allegiance


Certificate of Arrival

Declaration of Intention
Petition For Naturalization

Oath of Allegiance

The Certificate of Arrival told me when, where, and how he arrived on this side of the pond.  He arrived in New York under the name of Michele Mangiafico, October 4, 1920 aboard the SS Canada.  No wonder I couldn't find him!  I was looking for a Paolo Mangiafico!

The Declaration of Intention furnished me with his wedding date and a very handsome picture.



It also confused me a little that his daughter was listed as Bridget cause everyone knew her as Bea(trice). But, according to the Italian naming customs it makes sense that her name would be Brigida because she was the oldest daughter named after Paolo's mother.

They also spelled his name wrong - Paulo Michel Mangiofico.

I was finally able to find the ship's passenger list and discovered a cousin.  He was going to Boston to join cousin Rosario Bologna.


Source Citation: Year: 1920; Microfilm Serial: T715; Microfilm Roll: T715_2846; Line: 7; Page Number: 153.
So these papers were very fruitful!  Next item to order -- Giuseppe Bernardo's naturalization papers.

2 comments:

  1. What an AMAZING find!! And a picture!? I've been searching passport applications a ton lately just hoping to find pictures, you are so lucky! About how long did you have to wait for the documents?

    Your blog is great so I’ve shared the “One Lovely Blog” Award with you! Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with us. See my blog for the mention and award info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch Abby! It only took about two weeks for me to get the papers, but when you are waiting for something that awesome it seems like forever.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site