Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tuesday's Tip ~ Email Malware Warning


For more information on this virus click here.

Since we as genealogists look forward to the mail quite often, excited to receive packages and correspondence, I felt that I should bring this to your attention just in case you aren't aware of it.

I received an email that looked just like the image above. (Apparently I received two of them because the one above is from an email account that I don't use.) If you get one of these DO NOT CLINK ON THE LINK that says "Print a shipping Label NOW" like I foolishly did. (Only because I was actually expecting a package!)

When I clicked on that link, it downloaded a zip file to my computer which released a couple of different viruses. I got rid of those alright with Malwarebytes, but when I got a mailer daemon notice refusing to send an email that I supposedly sent I started to freak out.

Apparently my email address was used to send someone else a "Funeral Announcement" Malware. This morning my email address seemed to disappear. I discovered that it was suspended because of this whole mess!

Everything is good to go now. I certainly hope it stays that way.



Leslie Ann

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site