Friday, September 3, 2010

Sepia Saturday - Four Generations of Barker Girls

This is one of my favorite photos that used to sit within four black corners inside mom's big two inch thick leather bound family album.

Four generations of Barker girls sitting there on grandma's davenport. That's what grandma Piggott called the couch (took me a while to figure out what the heck she was calling a davenport, the porch or the couch).

From left to right: Esther Eleanor Henderson Barker (great-grandma), aunt Carolyn holding cousin Penny, Blanche Theora Barker Piggott (grandma), and mom holding little ole' me.

See the open door behind the davenport?  That was grandma's bedroom. She was a widow for a long time and when I was the only grandkid spending the night at her house in Bloomington, Idaho that is where I slept, right next to grandma. 

Her and I were buds. She made a killer banana split. I remember sitting in front of that heat vent that you see behind the sofa a time or two with a green plastic oblong shaped bowl from Dairy Queen that held this awesome banana split homemade with love.

Then she had to go and get married and I was booted from that bedroom. Took me awhile to get over that one.


 

11 comments:

  1. Yes, grandmother's home with a birdcage. Same as my grandmother, but she specialized in a cherry cake and milkshakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A terrific picture! And I love how vivid your memories are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priceless photo and memories, I enjoyed reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so homely to me. Sharing grandma's bed. How could she up and marry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet another great tour around a photograph. And they are always called couches and not davenports over here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The nerve of that woman -- to go and get married!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love multi-generation photos! My mother used the word "davenport," too. Davenport was the name of a sofa manufacturer, and it became one of those brand-name-becomes-a-common-name things, like band-aids. Of course, she may have had the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are the kind of photographs that we all treasure, aren't they? Great shot of the Barker Girls. Hope your Grandma found happiness in her second marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the photo of the Barker girls in Grandma's living room. It looks so nostalgic. Even though you were booted from the bedroom I'll bet you still enjoyed your visits.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site