Last month I went back home to Pocatello for a couple of weeks. The main reason was because mom sold the house. Times are tough and she just couldn't afford it any longer. I had a bunch off stuff in the basement I needed to go through and get out of there, not to mention helping her get moved out. We moved her in with my brother.
I was in the second grade when we moved into that house. The photo collage above depicts a few of the shots I have of the front of the house.
Left to right:
- It was October of 1970. The house was a peach color. I am standing on the porch with little brother. This was the day that I was confirmed.
- Not sure when that photo was taken, but it was some time between 1970 and 1974. Mom's corvair in front. I had a frightening experience in that car before we moved to that house.
- It was August of 1974. Calvin Buck and Grace Ellen Poulsen Smedley (my paternal grandparents) standing in front.
- My maternal grandmother, Blanche Theora Barker Piggott Dunn standing in front. By this time the house was a gold color with brown trim.
- Yes, that's me sitting on the front porch. The year was some time between 1995 and 1997. By this time the house was a grey color and sporting a new screen door.
Our house was the neighborhood house, the place to play hide and seek, kick the can, and other outside games. There were many sleep overs out in the back yard. I miss being able to just sleep outside under the stars.
So I guess this is the next stage of my life. When I am able to go back to Idaho, I will no longer be staying with my mom in the house I grew up in, but now I will be the grandma who comes to visit.
|The last photo of the "Smedley house".|