Thursday, April 25, 2013

Edmund Woodgreene, Mariner


I finally got around to transcribing the will of Edmund Woodgreene.  It's a good thing that I am in a nautical state of mind because I almost forgot about it!

Edmund was my 10th great-grandfather. He was a mariner from, as he put it, 'the towne and port of Dover in the county of Kent'.

 There are a few words that I can't make out.


In the Name of god Amen The ffourteenth Daie of February Anno Domini One Thousand Six hundred fortie three in the Nyneteenth year of the Reign of our Soveraigne Lord Charles King of England that ___ ___ __ I Edmund Woodgreene of the Towne and Port of Dover in the Coun-tie of Kent Mariner, weake and in _______ in Bodie, but of good and perfect memorie praised bee God Doe make and ordaine this my last Will and Tesstament in manner and fforme folowing That is to saie ffirst I recommend my Soul into the hands of Almighty god my maker trusting ________ ________ the _____ of Jesus Christ my Saviour to bee made partaker of life everlasting And _________ my Bodie over with a good Will and free heart I give it over commending it to the earth whereof it came from I make and ordaine my sonn Robert Woodgreene and my daughter Katherine Tiddeman mine executors of this my Last Will and Tesstament And of the execu-tion of the same I make and ordayne John Loome of the Town and Port of Dover aforesaid juratt overseer And I herby revoak and adnull all and everie other for-mer Testaments Wills Legacies Bequests executors and overseers by mee in anie wise before this time named willed and bequeathed Item I will and devise unto my sonn Isack Woodgreen and to his heirs forever, my messuages Tenemt wherein I now dwell with all and singular the edifires buildinge Courts yards Gardens and appurtenances thereunto belonging scituate and being in the Towne and Port of Dover aforesaid Item I will and devise unto my said sonn Isack and to his heirs for ever my Messuage or Tenement wherein my sonn John Woodgreene doth nowe dwell with the Backside and appurtenances thereunto belonging scituate and being in the Town and Port of Dover aforesaid provided all___and my will and meaning is that my sonn Robert Woodgreene and his heires and asignes shall from time to time, at all times forever hereafter have the use and benefit of the Backside loft above mentioned to doe his and their necessary buisines there, and also of the well in the said Backside to drawe have take and fetch water there __ the said Robert Woodgreene his heires and asignes finding and alowing one half of the charges towards the repayring keeping and amending of the said well well roap, Bucket and Curb of the said well when and so often as need shall require. Item I will and devise unto my said sonn Robert Woodgreene and to his heires for ever my messuage & Tenements in Whitefeild which I purchased of Simon Goad (?) to bee equally divided betweene them item I give unto the poore of the Parish of St. James the Apostle in the Towne and Port of Dover aforesaid Twenty shillings to bee paid and distributed unto them by my executors att their discretion Item I give and bequeath unto my said Sonn John Woodgreene Twenty shillings Item I give unto my said Son John John Woodgreene two ____ five Pounds a peice of lawfull money of Eng-land to bee paid unto them by my executors within Two years next after my de-cease Item I give and bequeath unto my said sonn Isack Woodgreene my Quarter part of the good ship called the Jacob of Dover whereof Richard _____ is now master, and of all the stocke ffurniture apparell and appurtnances thereunto belonging or appertayning Item I give unto my fewer grand children which my sonn in Law Edward Goodwyn had by my daughter Jane Ten Pounds a peice of lawfull money of England, to bee paid unto them within Two yeares next after my decease Item I give unto my Grandchild Mary Tiddeman daughter of Katherine Tiddeman aforesaid ffiftie pounds of lawfull money of England to bee paid unto her within two yeares next after my decease Item I give unto my Grand child Mary Tiddeman my best Bed and Bedsted standing in the loft over my Parlour, My best ______, Two Blankets, and two paire of sheetes with all the furniture and appurt-nances belonging to the said Bed and Bedstead Item all other my shipping money of plate Goods and Chattels whatsoever not formerly given and bequeathed, my Debts Legacies and funerall expenses being paid and discharged I give unto my said exe-cutors Robert Woodgreene and Katharine Tiddeman to bee equally divided be-tween them In Wittness whereof I the said Edmund Woodgreen have here unto sett my hand and seale Dated the Daie and yeare first above written Signed Sealed published and declared in the presence of John Loome Edmund Gwiliam (?) Sr _______ that ____ will above said was ______ _____ of the S ____ ____ _____ _____ of the _____ Edward gwiliam Sr
Reference: PROB 11/204/623, The National Archives, Kew
According to this will, Edmund had a quarter interest in a ship called Jacob.  I haven't been able to find out anything about the ship so far. I wonder who else had an interest in this ship. Unfortunately I can't read the last name of the ship master. Can you read this?


This is the first time I have came across the term 'my fewer grandchildren'. I'm not quite sure what that means.



Leslie Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site