Monday, June 10, 2013

Amanuensis Monday ~ A Hard Case



As you may have noticed, I have been concentrating on my Piggot(t) line. I am trying to piece together the family of my 4th great-grandparents George and Sarah Hull Piggot in the hopes it will lead me to more clues and/or proof that George really was the son of Lord William Pickett.

I have found quite a bit of info regarding Samuel Piggot who is one of their sons.  Samuel was a jeweler in New York City. The above image is his mark that I found on the website Silversmiths and Related Craftsman.

According to some news articles I have found, my poor 3rd great-granduncle had quite a few misfortunes.

The following article is from the New York Tribune dated July 31, 1862.


A HARD CASE
To the Editor of The N. Y. Tribune.
Allow me to state briefly the case of an old friend and fellow citizen, Mr. Samuel Piggot, who kept a jeweler's store in Hudson street, this city, for over 20 years. Some 10 years he gathered his little all together and emigrated to Virginia, where he purchased a farm. When the rebellion broke out, Mr. Piggot was too loyal to live among Rebels who drove off his cattle, threatened his life, and burned all his buildings. He came back to this city, and by the aid of friends began business at No. 643 Eighth avenue, and it is to be hoped the loyal people of New York will give him a lift by leaving their watches and jewelry with him for repairs. He needs help.
New York, July 26, 1862

There is an article in the New York Tribune dated February 7, 1862 that goes into detail in his own words about the terrible treatment Samuel and his wife endured in Virginia. It's a bit lengthy so I haven't transcribed it yet.

I sure hope he got some extra business after this article. I wonder who wrote the letter to the editor. He must have been a swell guy.


Leslie Ann

1 comment:

  1. 1862 was not a good year for a Yankee to move south. Hope he made out well back in NY.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site