Monday, July 28, 2014

Why You Should Search Google by Image


Last week I decided to run an image search using the newly found photo I found back in April on FamilySearch of my 3rd great-grandmother Ellenor Creighton Pugmire.

I was hoping by chance that I could find more information using her photo. After all, she is one of my ancestors that I know so little about. Well, I didn't find any new information but what I did find left me feeling perplexed.

It turns out that this very same photo was attached to someone named Elizabeth Creighton.

This image was found on the website THE MUDDLE FAMILIES. I sent an email to the webmaster through his contact link, but that hasn't been updated since October of 2012 so I don't know if he will get it or not.

I can't get in touch with the person who uploaded the photo to FamilySearch because they didn't leave an email address or any other contact information. So now I am left wondering if this beautiful woman was my 3rd great-grandmother or not!

However I did notice that just below this photo on his website was a photo of one of her daughters and I think there is a little resemblance. If you click on the link above to that website, maybe you can tell me what you think.

I also found this same photo attached to several family trees on Ancestry.com that Elizabeth Creighton Muddle was a part of.

So I thought I had better run image searches using the other photos that I found on FamilySearch. I found two more photos that were claimed to be someone else. Luckily I was able to sort one of them out because I found a family photo with the lady in question on a different website.



George Pickett

According to the Ferntree Gully Cricket Club website this is a photo of George H. Pickett who was a member of the cricket club and fought and died in WWI. According to FamilySearch this is my 3rd great-grandfather George Pickett (1821-1857). 

I highly encourage you to click on this link => search by image <= if you have ever downloaded an ancestor photo from:

  • FamilySearch
  • Ancestry.com
  • Geni
  • Any other family tree site
  • A blog or any other website 
And if you need to search by image from your Android phone, you will need the Google Search By Image app.




Leslie Ann

3 comments:

  1. Leslie Ann,

    I want to let you know that your blog post is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2014/08/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-august-1.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting story about that photo - I hope you are able to get to the truth on who she is. I have not downloaded any photos from these site, but you bet if I do I will be doing an image search on google. Thanks for the information.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Chris. I am glad you found the information useful. Since writing this post I have been made aware of another search by image site called Tineye Reverse Image Search => https://www.tineye.com/
      however, it does not find a lot of images yet.

      Also I have just discovered that the Ferntree Gully Cricket site has been suspended since I posted this. Was it something I said? :-)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site