Friday, October 26, 2012

Grandma's Original Spice Cake




Yesterday was hubby's big 50.  I made his favorite meal. Let me rephrase that, his favorite meal that I cook. My famous lasagna (okay, I had some help from Prego).  I'm not a big fan of cooking. I like baking sometimes. I never even took home-ec in school, (hubby did).

We couldn't have a birthday without cake, so I made him a cake as well.  Three years ago I posted about grandma's cookbook.  There is a recipe in there that I wanted to try and yesterday I finally did.

My aunt is the one who submitted the recipe for the cookbook. She calls it "Mom's original spice cake". I call it "Grandma's original spice cake.


The night before I made the cake I called aunt Jean on the phone.  It's a good thing I did because she told me that there were a couple of mistakes in that typewritten recipe! I always assumed this was a recipe from when her and mom were kids, but she told me the real story behind the recipe.

It turns out grandma concocted this recipe for uncle Mike (aunt Jean's hubby).  He loves spice cake and she tried a few different things until he gave the thumbs up.

I am here to tell you that the cake turned out AWESOME! Talk about moist! I will never buy another cake!  And just so you can try it yourself (I know you want to) I will share the correct recipe.

Blanche's Original Spice Cake Recipe
Mix together:
  2 eggs
  1 cup sugar
  1/2 cup brown sugar
  1 1/4 cups whipping cream (from a carton)
  1 cup half & half
  1 cup applesauce
  juice from 1 orange
  1 tsp vanilla
  2 cups flour
  1 tsp baking soda
  1 tsp baking powder
  1/2 tsp salt
  2 tsp cinnamon
  1/2 tsp cloves
  1/4 tsp allspice
  raisins and nuts, if desired
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

I made a cream cheese frosting to top it off.  And now if you will excuse me, I need to go frost graham crackers with the left over frosting cause that is just what you do with left over frosting. I learned that from my  mom.



Leslie Ann

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, Leslie! Did you use an electric mixer, or mix it by hand? Just wondering because of the whipping cream. I love spice cake and will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the good ole wooden spoon. I didn't even think about that. I guess a mixer would have made it fluffy?

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us (and the story behind it). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It sounds delicious with all that cream!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site