Friday, August 13, 2010

Sepia Saturday - Me and My Long Lost Barbie

So this is my first Sepia Saturday and I wanted to share a couple of photos that I my aunt gave to me while I was in Idaho last May.

Me holding my very first Barbie, and my sister.
This first photo was a Polaroid taken in  August of 1966.  We are sitting on a bench in front of the Chevron station that my aunt and uncle used to own in Paris, Idaho. 

I have often thought of this barbie and wondered what ever happened to it. It was my favorite not only because it was my first, but because my daddy gave it to me, not for Christmas or birthday, but just because.  When I saw this actual proof of my Bubble Cut Barbie, I was kind of excited.

This second picture didn't scan very well, but it is a better view of my Barbie.

14 comments:

  1. Poor Barbie, upside down, but I'm sure you didn't mean to do it. Very cute pictures. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the best presents are those given because...

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, the barbie culture!! how many girls in this world have fond memories of their childhood due to this tiny piece of plastic? lovely pics!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. little girls with dolls; and those old polaroid photos, scan before they fade away completely. Cute poses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and you were adorable. Poor Barbie was all dressed up because she heard she was going to Paris. I don't suppose she knew it was going to be Paris, Idaho. Maybe she hitched a ride to Rome (Idaho.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how many of us have toys that just disappeared, and we wish we had them again? No Barbie for you now, but at least you have photos of her and some great memories of your dad. Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i miss my G.I. JOEs!! i had those with "real hair"!!!...
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun thing to do, find a picture of your first Barbie. I agree those Polaroids do not look good after a few years. Better than no photo at all though. great post.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was too old for dolls by the time Barbie came along and could never see the appeal . . . but oh how many of my friends treasure those Barbie memories! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, Bubble Barbie. I have two in my collection. They were a lot of fun.

    Fun photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was too old for Barbies, too, but I still have one of my childhood dolls.
    I always enjoyed buying clothes for my niece's Barbies. I think she, at one time, thought they were named after me because she has always called me Aunt Barbie.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just because is such a wonderful way to receive things. Barbie must have been a great friend of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos to have of times gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome to Sepia Saturday, so glad you have decided to join us. And right from the start you have got the Sepia Saturday mix to perfection : old photographs and memories blended like an emotional smoothie.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site